Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Mannikins and mannikins

Mannikins are a family of finches so named, I would guess, because their dark heads, upperparts and chests with the rest of their underparts white gives the impression of a clothing-shop white mannequin on display with a dark coat on.

The bronze mannikin, sporting a dash of easily overlooked bronzy-green on its shoulders, is one of the most common and familiar little birds in Mbale, as in many other parts of Africa.

Less often seen (or recognized, at least) is the closely related black and white mannikin. The dark and light coloration patterns are similar in both species, and I can testify that they appear even more alike when you see them out and about. The best field mark for distinguishing them is the bit of white that extends up around the black bib on each side of the chest on the bronze mannikin. The black chest of the black and white mannikin makes a kind of waistcoat line all the way across the bird's breast, from one dark-hatch "sidebar" to the other on each side.

It is rare not to come across small family groups of bronze mannikins whenever you walk in our neighborhood. Seeing a group of black and whites is somewhat unusual here, however, so I was pleased the other day to observe both species on one outing.

1 comment:

John Ketchersid said...

I finally got back to look at your blog. Very interesting! I recieved a pair of binoculars for Christmas from Sherrinda's parents. I walked a bit early Christmas morning in Granbury to look at some birds. It was cold and windy and only a few mockingbirds were out. I heard some cardinals but they refused to show themselves. I am looking forward to doing some birding in the coming months. We were at Halp-Price Books this week and I looked at some birding books. I hope to purchase one soon. That's the news from Fort Worth. God Bless!