Thursday, April 26, 2007

Lanner

Yesterday morning around 0700 I was standing in downtown Mbale when I noticed an incoming from the north, looking about crow-size. Turned out to be a lanner falcon (Falco biarmicus), cruising over at only about 50 feet altitude. These are occasional here, and always a particular pleasure to see.

It's been a few days since hearing the liquid contact-calls of Eurasian bee-eaters (Merops apiaster) migrating overhead. The season's rush is more or less over, but we'll probably still have some straggling flocks up into May.

In case anyone's wondered why I have been including scientific/Latin names for bird species, it's because English nomenclature varies so much from book to book and area to area. If you look up a species I mention by its Latin name, your 95% certain to come up with the species that I have referenced, regardless of which English-(or other language)-name it may go by in your fieldguide or website of choice.

1 comment:

John Ketchersid said...

I just looked at some pictures of lanner falcons. What a beautiful bird! I have not been keeping up well with the comments on my blog. In fact, I just noticed today that you had commented on my last, two. Thanks!