Monday, September 3, 2007

arrivals

The start of migration season caught me by surprise today, as the familiar liquid notes of European bee-eaters (Merops apiaster) on the move came down from overhead this afternoon. September 3 isn't all that early to begin seeing these and other migrants escaping the cold European fall and winter, but I had not thought about the time being upon us already. A few minutes later, the similar but sharper-toned calls of a flock of blue-cheeked bee-eaters (Merops persicus) announced that they are also passing through. Nice to have both of these in the skies the same afternoon--an appropriate appetite-whetting experience as I look forward to having many other migrating species around in the next seven or eight months.

Just a couple of days ago I noticed the first large group of black kites (Milvus migrans) that I've seen in two or three months flying overhead in Mbale town. There has been a straggler or two in the neighborhood since most of them left for their seasonal relocation, but it looks like they're back. I did not have binoculars handy to check whether these were the European race (M. m. migrans) or the common African yellow-billed one (M. m. parasitus).

Had a nice view of a black-headed oriole (Oriolus larvatus) yesterday. It's a gorgeous bird, a bit larger than most American orioles I've seen, and decked out in stunning yellow plumage with black head and red bill.

Other notable sightings lately include:

Black sparrowhawk/goshawk (Accipiter melanoleucus) - I see these only occasionally in Mbale; this fellow was calling from the top of an African mahogany tree

Ross's turaco (Musophaga rossae) - always traveling tree to tree in groups, some of the most spectacular feathered inhabitants of our area

1 comment:

John Ketchersid said...

Sounds like fun. I wish I could be there. God Bless!