Monday, November 5, 2007

morning walk

I took a short stroll this morning and came across several nifty birds along the way.

* Holub's golden weaver (Ploceus xanthops) - If these have been around, I've been overlooking them. Last week two of the boys and I saw what looked like on of these on the golf course, but I couldn't be sure. I watched a pair of them searching through leaves of corn plants and long grass in a marshy area this morning.

* Black and white mannikin (Lonchura bicolor) - We see these occasionally, much less frequently than the abundant bronze mannikin (Lonchura cucullata).

* A pair of palm-nut vultures (Gypohierax angolensis) are nest-building in one of the mature African mahogany trees that line the road above our house.

* Had a paradise flycatcher (Terpsiphone viridis) pass through on its way across the valley where I watched the pair of weavers.

* Bronze-tailed starling (Lamprotornis chalcurus) - these seem to have returned from wherever most of them spent the past few months away from here.

No comments: